Q. I am a HUGE fan of your website and would love to get your advice. I will be vacationing with my fiancé’s family in St. Maarten in mid-June. I have never been outside the states or to such a nice vacation spot. I do not have a clue what to wear that would be comfortable and beach-worthy. I know we will be going around sightseeing, since I am a very adventurous gal. I am in my early-twenties, petite, and looking for some great versatile pieces to wear. Any help would be greatly appreciated! And, could you find some great footwear as well?
A. It’s very simple to pack for the Caribbean. By day you’ll be wearing a swimsuit, shorts, tanks and short skirts, and by night, sundresses. For shoes you’ll need a good pair of flip-flops. I’m a fan of inexpensive Havianas, sandals/flats and one pair of higher heeled sandals or espadrilles. For sandals, consider a metallic pair that will match with all the dresses. And just bring along one small clutch for evening and an oversized bag for shopping and the beach. I shopped for several pieces that should fulfill many items on your packing list and they are all incredibly affordable.
1. Havaianas Flip Flops (7 colors), $16 at saks.com
2. Boutique Nordstrom ‘Tabby’ Sandal (5 colors), $69.95 at nordstrom.com
3. Xhilaration® Tally Strappy Wedge, $19.99 at target.com
4. Calvin Klein ‘Coral’ Sandal (2 colors), $89.95 at nordstrom.com
5. Steven by Steve Madden ‘Casting’ Thong Sandal (4 colors), $78.95 at nordstrom.com
6. Women’s Mix-Print Henley Tanks, $14.50 at oldnavy.com
7. Women’s Low-Rise Cuffed Twill Shorts (4 colors), $15 (sale) at oldnavy.com
8. Holly Striped Hobo (2 colors), $26.50 at delias.com
9. Women’s Embroidered Keyhole Halter Dresses (2 colors), $39.50 at oldnavy.com
10. Lux Lightning Strikes Dress, $68 at urbanoutfitters.com