Q. I have a Saturday night, black-tie wedding coming up and I have no idea what to wear. I know people traditionally wear long, black dresses, but since I’m kind of small (5’2”, size 0), I’m afraid I would get lost in a dress like that. Also, since I’m 24 and it’s summer, I wouldn’t mind straying from black and wearing something fun. Keeping this in mind, what would be appropriate? Would a cocktail dress be ok? Or are there any particular styles of long dresses that flatter shorter people? Do you have any suggestions?
- Distressed Over Dress
A. A long gown on a petite woman can look like an overwhelming amount of fabric or look like you’re playing dress up in your mom’s closet. Black tie affairs no longer require a long gown - just an appropriate dress that is fiercely festive, sophisticated and elegant. I shopped for several options and it’s purely coincidental that they all are strapless.
1. Strapless Florence dress, $250 at jcrew.com
2. Jillian strapless dress, $295 at jcrew.com
3. Kay Unger Strapless Bubble Dress, $330 at saks.com
4. BCBGMAXAZRIA Silk Strapless Dress, $360 at saks.com
5. BCBGMAXAZRIA Silk Empire Dress, $156 (sale) at saks.com
6. BCBGMAXAZRIA Satin Cocktail Dress, $288 at saks.com