Q. I just discovered your site today and thought perhaps you could help me. Every time I have to go to a wedding, I end up getting a long, floor length dress because I feel the need to conceal a very noticeable, three-inch-long scar right below my knee. One of my best friends is having her wedding reception outdoors at the botanical gardens in Dallas in June, however, and a dress this long would be inappropriate due to the warm weather. Could you please suggest some calf-length dresses that would be appropriate for an outdoor reception? Also, you should know that I am pear shaped, 5'3'', size 4/6 on top and 8/10 on bottom. Also because of the scar, I only wear slacks to work. Now that summer is coming, I would love a couple of suggestions on skirts and dresses that would be appropriate for work as well. Thank you in advance for all of your help!
- Just So Sick of Slacks
A. I wish I could help you unlock some confidence to bare your scar without feeling self-conscious, but until you're ready, here are a few dress options that are fresh, fun and appropriate for an outdoor garden wedding setting. They should lay fluidly over your bottom half, but you may have to get a little tailoring to have a snugger fit up top. Pair any of these with strappy, high-heeled sandals.
1. Diane von Furstenberg Naro Printed Silk Jersey Wrap Dress, $385 at bloomingdales.com
2. Alice + Olivia Belted One Shoulder Dress, $330 at shopbop.com
3. Lauren Ralph Lauren Petite Linen Sleeveless Wrap Ruffle Dress, $179 at macys.com
4. Diane von Furstenberg Tolara Dress, $365 at shopbop.com
5. Calvin Klein Petite Graphic-Print V-Neck Dress, $148 at macys.com
6. G Wheels Drapeneck Top and Sandy Starkman Printed Skirt, $79 at bloomingdales.com