Q. I love your website. I learned a lot from your answers to all the questions but now I need some help. I recently purchased this denim Sailor skirt in blue steel from Old Navy. I want to know what kind of tops would go nicely with it for a casual look since I can't wear jeans to work. Also what type of shoes, flats or heels? The skirt falls exactly on my knees. I'm petite with an athletic build (12P on top and 8P on bottom).
-Denim Dressed Up
A. You can be casual with a button down shirt tucked in and add a wide belt around your waist or kick it with stripes or patterns in a top or cardigan layered over a cami style top or short sleeve shirt. As for flats or heels, that will depend on your desired comfort and what top you're wearing. I've given a few indications of shoe choices with the tops I shopped.
Pair it with:
1. Trastevere paisley cardigan, $100 at jcrew.com -- wear simple flat sandals when the weather gets warmer
2. Coppelle paisley Alessia blouse, $88 at jcrew.com -- wear with espadrilles or navy patent wedge (closed or peep toe)
3. Petite silk ruffle-sleeve top, $64 at bananarepublic.com -- wear with cream or chocolate heels
4. Bella swirl print keyhole blouse, $34.30 at petitesophisticate.com -- wear with a black or navy mid-heel pump or patent leather slide. choose sandals in the summer.
5. Sparkle Striped Boatneck Tee, $14.99 at urbanoutfitters.com -- wear with an espadrille or strappy sandal