Q. Layered necklaces are so hot right now….I’ve seen both Lauren Conrad & Heidi Klum sporting them lately. I’m dying to replicate this look in gold but not sure where to start. Can you offer some suggestions?
A. Layered necklaces can look chic and studied or effortlessly “thrown together” depending on which look you are going for. There are no strict rules as this is all about personal style and having fun. It’s also a great way to give new life to some pieces you may already own. Here are some guidelines:
1. If you prefer a neat look, try layering delicate necklaces of varying lengths. The chains should be the same metal (gold with gold) and approximately the same thickness (delicate with delicate; thicker chains with thicker chains). This is, perhaps, the easiest way to layer necklaces.
2. For a more bohemian-inspired look, try layering beaded necklaces of varying lengths and materials together.
3. Try layering a simple chain or beaded strand with a longer pendant style necklace for a look that is easy to accomplish.
Get inspiration from these layered necklaces below, or better yet, buy one that’s already layered if you don’t trust your own layering skills!
1. Juicy Couture ‘Admiral’s Daughter’ Long Layered Necklace, $128 at nordstrom.com
2. tuleste market Layered Ball & Chain Necklace, $140 at shopbop.com
3. Lucky Brand Love Layer Necklace, $95 at luckybrandjeans.com
4. Kenneth Cole New York Double-Layer Necklace, $40 at dillards.com
5. Bead Multi-Strand Necklace, $29.99 at target.com
6. Merona® Multi-Strand Faceted Pendant Necklace, $9.99 at target.com
7. Square stations necklace, $49 at bananarepublic.com
8. Moroccan Haze Layered Illusion Necklace, $35 at lizclaiborne.com