Q. I have been asked to be a bridesmaid in my brother’s wedding this coming August. Instead of selecting a specific bridesmaid’s dress, the bride said that we can wear any dress, as long as it’s navy. I am having a terrible time deciding on a style and finding the perfect dress. The bride’s dress is quite fancy, but the guys are just wearing khakis and blue blazers. And it’s an August outdoor wedding, so it will most likely be HOT.
-Navy Ne’er Do Well
A. Hey, high five to you. Three cheers, make that an ovation to the bride to be. I wish you could see my jubilant face right now and you’d probably feel a little more confident. You have been given the great “gift” of not having to conform to a long list of bride’s wishes and demands and you’ll save yourself some money or at least the anguish of stashing the dress in the back of your closet after the wedding is over. Navy is super chic and I’ve fallen in love with it lately as a substitute to black. The dress doesn’t have to be long-YEAH! Since the guys are wearing the classic prep look of blue blazers and khakis you just need to find a cocktail length dress that can possibly take you from the wedding to a Saturday night dinner party some other time. These fabulous dresses should keep you looking cool.
1. Donna Ricco Stretch Satin Halter Dress, $158 at nordstrom.com
2. Jones New York Dress Bateau Neck Silk Dress, $180 at nordstrom.com
3. MARC BY MARC JACOBS ‘Kitty’ Strapless Dress, $448 at nordstrom.com
4. David Meister One Shoulder Sheath Dress, $306 at nordstrom.com
5. JS Boutique Embellished Matte Jersey Halter Dress, $158 at nordstrom.com
6. Tiered Layered Strapless Cocktail Dresses by BCBG MAXAZRIA, $320 at edressme.com
7. Sophia short silk dress, $195 at jcrew.com
8. Silk tricotine Jenelle short dress, $195 at jcrew.com