Q. Everywhere I look I see miniskirts and short shorts. I have to admit, it’s been months since I’ve hit the gym - and even longer since my legs have seen the sun. I’m not ready to trade in chunky sweaters and jeans for minidresses! Any tips on wearing this trend?
A. If the multitude of miniskirts, minidresses and short shorts this spring have you shaking in your (chic) boots, feeling just the tiniest bit insecure about your body, you’re not alone. With spring just around the corner but winter weather still very much here, the last thing our pale, out of shape legs are ready to do is face the world peeking out of short hemlines.
Besides hitting the treadmill and switching to healthier snacks, we’ve got a few tips to help you survive this season’s mini trend:
1. Hit the bottle: Sunless tanners are your exposed legs’ best friend. Even a hint of a faux tan is enough to make thighs look slimmer. Moisturize well for smooth, sleek gams.
2. Pump it up: The quickest way to longer, more sexy legs? A great pair of heels or wedges. Choose a nude color and avoid ankle straps (like the model shown here) and you’ll add inches in an instant.
3. Not all minis are created equal: Be mindful of the length of your hemline; select miniskirts and shorts that hit right below the widest part of your thigh for the most flattering silhouette. Also, be sure to do the sit-down and bend-over test to avoid overexposure.
4. Loosen up: Choose loose, cuffed shorts and A-line or full skirts to make thighs look skinny by comparison.
5. Use diversion tactics: Choose billowy tops and oversized accessories, like a statement necklace or large handbag, to make the rest of you look small in comparison.
6. Snack wisely: You can enjoy snacking but don’t blow it on goodies that aren’t worth it. Instead try healthier versions of your favorite snacks. We love Baked! Lays - they taste as good as regular potato chips and only have 1.5 grams of fat per serving. Snacking can be yummy!
Follow these tips and you’re on your way to surviving this season’s mini trend! (c’mon, sing it with us: who wears short shorts?)
This post was sponsored by Only in a Woman’s World. For more fun stuff about getting ready for summer check out www.awomansworld.com