Q. I absolutely love your daily fashion advice! I’m sure my dilemma is not unique; I am a size 0 on top, a 4/6 on the bottom, and petite (5’2”). Can you suggest top styles that would offset my lopsided figure and also perhaps recommend some dress styles for a wedding I’m attending in August? I don’t mind getting clothes altered, but I just don’t know what styles to look for.
A. While you are still considered small on your bottom half as well, you seek balance. Best way to solve a “lopsided” figure is to find tops that have a little extra going on from the chest area upwards, including collars, slight puffed sleeves and wider necklines. Just beware that you don’t go overboard since you are petite and don’t want to look like a dress up doll. Patterns also help to keep the eye moving, and be sure to avoid big and baggy. There’s nothing wrong with accentuating your waist while wearing a skirt or dress with a slight A-line shape that will flatter your slightly larger bottom half. I’ve found plenty of tops to choose from, plus some dresses than can be easily altered to fit your top and flatter you bottom half at a wedding.
1. BCBGMAXAZRIA Women’s Musical Note Border Matte Jersey Top, $138 at bloomingdales.com
2. Aqua Women’s Sleeveless Ruffle “2-Fer” Top, $58 at bloomingdales.com
3. Marc By Marc Jacobs Women’s Cotton Sateen Jersey Top and Fiona Cotton Faille Skirt at bloomingdales.com
4. Nanette Lepore Feels So Right Floral Top, $285 at bloomingdales.com
5. INC International Concepts® Smocked Printed Peasant Top, $59 at macys.com
6. Maggy London Silk Cocktail Dress, $138 at nordstrom.com
7.. Silk faille Mirabelle dress, $395 at jcrew.com
8. Strappy Florence dress, $179.99 at jcrew.com