Q. Hi, I always read your articles and they are very informative and fun but I kind of have a problem myself this time. I am 22 years old and I often get mistaken for a 15 year old! It gets so frustrating when strangers tell you that you look like a baby. I wear a lot of flats, jeans, and tees but I do love classic-looking clothes, like my icon Audrey Hepburn. How can I possibly change my style to look my age?
-22 Going on 15
A. Well, if you adore Audrey Hepburn, why not take some pointers from her style. It still works today. You don’t need a lot of money to age your look. Simply expand your wardrobe choices by keeping t-shirts for super casual days or pairing them with a fitted jacket this Fall. Other ideas to try:
• Wear dark denim jeans with a classic button down shirt, a belt that is a bit wider and has a stylish buckle and a jacket or a new moto leather jacket.
• Pair thin turtleneck or v-neck knit sweaters with slim pants and your dainty flats.
• Add a skinny patent belt at the waist and carry a clutch or shoulder bag that isn’t the bag you carry work stuff or gym stuff in.
• Go out and buy a dress. A little black dress that can be worn alone or add a sweater for warmth for a daytime look.
• Wear heels once in a while. The new platform heels give you height, but help you stand better.
• Add accessories like a chain link necklace or one with charms, dangly earrings for evening, a clutch that works for date nights.
• Wear your flats with opaque tights and a mini dress.
• Buy a pencil skirt and wear a top that has shine.
These are all minimal changes that can add style and age to your wardrobe. I guarantee you can find these pieces inexpensively. But most important is how you carry yourself when you wear these new or existing pieces. Walk with confidence, enjoy your clothes, experiment and add to the dress, a skirt, some heels and accessories and you’ll feel "chic and fancy".
Items that will up your age without making you look old:
1. Elizabeth Dress , $44.50 at delias.com
2. Lux Silk Snapfront Dress, $78 at urbanoutfitters.com
3. Flutter Dress, $118 at freepeople.com
4. New Dream sweater dress, $140 at jcrew.com
5. Superfine Tie up Henley, $108 at freepeople.com
6. Box Pleat Pencil Skirt, $78 at ardenb.com
7. Jacquard High Waist Skirt, $98 at ardenb.com
8. Tulle Cable Knit Cardigan, $48 at nordstrom.com