Q. I’m about to move to New York City and have been pondering what boots would be good to get for fall and winter. I need something practical (that I can walk in for long distances, possibly in inclement weather) but stylish. I’ve liked the flat knee-high boots with rows of buttons that I’ve seen around occasionally. Any advice on where to get a solid pair for preferably under $200 dollars?
A. A high heel just won’t do for trudging around the city, whether it’s sunny or streets filled with slushy snow. Keep to a low heel or flat, buy a few pairs of cashmere blend socks to keep your feet warm and slip on a knee high pair of leather boots like the options below for under $200. If you plan to only buy one pair of boots for a New York winter, then skip trendy looks and stick with a pair that will work with many items in your wardrobe. These are cool enough for the whole boot to be seen so whether you wear your new wide length trousers over the boot or tuck your jeans or cords into the boot, these pairs are made for all day trekkin’:
1. Aerosoles ‘Override’, $144 at aerosoles.com
2. Kenneth Cole Reaction Buddha Lug, $199.99 at shoes.com
3. Timberland Merevesi Tall Boot, $199.99 at shoes.com
4. Naturalizer ‘Sidney’, $105.99 at shoes.com
5. Nine West Orabella, $136.20 at zappos.com
6. Sudini ‘Throttle’ Boot, $199.95 at nordstrom.com