$89 at piperlime.com
get free shipping and free returns on all orders
1. Instagramming our late summer style inspiration - Check out our most stylish snaps.
2. Steal Michelle Williams’ mixed print style - Polka dots and printed shorts make a chic combination.
3. Trend alert: navy eyes - Want something that’s nighttime chic but not as severe as black?
4. Summer beauty trend countdown: metallic eyeshadow - Think bold takes on gold and silver.
5. Alicia Keys celebrates new single with new look - And we’re loving it!
6. Handbags that give back, by Joy Gryson - Under $200 and benefit 3 charities close to the designer’s heart.
7. 7 bright nail colors to try before summer ends - Rock all your favorite bright summer hues before it’s too late.
8. Currently craving: bright beaded clutches - In fun summer prints like ikat.
9. Binge vs. budget: floral jeans - Get in on the trend for under $40.
10. Easy har dos for summer - Upgrade your day-old ‘do with a headband or wrap.
There are few adventures I love more than a road trip, be it an impromptu trek to the country, a drive along the coast or merely taking off without any specific aim. What I don’t love: most “road trip” foods aren’t exactly of the health-conscious variety. In fact, they tend to be the exact opposite - think the same potato chips, cookies and candy bars you noshed on as a kid in the backseat all those years ago.
Fast forward to today. I’m in the driver’s seat - literally and figuratively. When it comes to planning my road trip, I keep one goal in mind: fresh foods that taste great and keep me satisfied. All I need is a cooler large enough to hold enough food for the trip (plus enough for whoever is along for the ride, natch). Just like Ben and Justin, the intrepid travelers who took an adventurous cross country “Freshpedition” with a GE French Door Refrigerator hooked up to the back of their Ford truck, I’m all about good, healthy foods. These two roughed their way across the country, fridge full of fresh foods in tow, in order to surprise a scientist working in a remote desert with a delicious, home-cooked meal.
Inspired yet? The good news is, I don’t have to drive cross country to a desert in order to replicate the experience. I can throw together a few healthy foods of my own, right in the comfort of my own home, before I hit the road. Some of my favorite on-the-go options include baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, frozen grapes, fruit salads (sliced apples, peaches, apricots and plums) and almonds. I also love tossing a jar of sunflower seed butter and a container of hummus into the cooler - they’re both perfect for dipping and are relatively mess-free, too.
When it comes to drinks, I steer clear of sodas and juices. I love blending together a little health smoothie before I go, complete with almond milk, bananas, strawberries, flax seeds and a touch of sweetener. Not only is it nutritious, but it also keeps me fuller than any canned beverage ever could.
Perhaps the most important reason to opt for fresh foods over junk: they keep me energetic and alert while I drive. There’s nothing safe about suffering post-meal grogginess on the road - ask anyone who’s ever needed a nap 20 minutes after lunch. Hydrating and healthy, fresh foods are always the perfect choice for a road trip.
GE is continuing this same passion for fresh food with the Freshpedition Sweepstakes. This sweepstakes uses Pinterest, which means you can actually pin for a chance to win all new GE kitchen appliances.
But wait, there’s even more to win!
You can also enter each day of the sweepstakes for a chance to win a $100 VISA® Prepaid Card. Entering for this prize is fun as you’re asked to pin your favorite fresh foods or your own recipes. Also, these pins when hashtagged with your state (e.g. #GEfreshTX) become part of a “Best of Fresh” map featuring freshness from around the country. Explore the map here: http://www.freshpedition.com/sweepstakes/fresh-map.htm
For official rules and to enter visit here: http://www.freshpedition.com/sweepstakes/
image: Dan McKay