Many runway looks are fantasized versions of what are actually completely wearable trends. In this 2 week series, we break down some of our favorite styles from the Fall 2009 runways to show you simple designer-inspired styling tricks that anyone can pull off.
TIP 3: MIX YOUR METALSThe old rules state that you should wear only gold or silver at one time, but this chic look from Derek Lam proves you can mix your metals for a gorgeous effect.
The easiest way to wear this look is to choose jewelry and accessories that mix the metals for you, like the examples below, and easily pair with other silver or gold items in your wardrobe. For the more adventurous, try mixing an accessory with a piece of clothing in mixed metals, like the gold dress and silver shoe below.
TIP 4: WEAR WHITE IN THE WINTERForget the rules about not wearing white after Labor Day, the looks below from ADAM show how to work white into your fall and winter wardrobe.
The key to wearing white in the winter is to choose fabrics that are cold weather appropriate, then try mixing your whites with black, brown, red and other wintery colors.
More runway styling tips:
- Sequins for day and night
- Layering Cardigans
- Mix contrasting prints
- Balance bright colors with black
- Leather jackets with dresses
- Florals for fall
- Add interest to your look with patterned tights
- Boxy oversized blazers with skinny bottoms
- Get creative with layering
- Use leopard pieces to add interest
- Layer your knits
- Toughen up a dress with motorcycle shoes
- Wear bold shoes to brighten your look
- Wear a chunky cardigan with a floaty dress