by Daisy Lewellyn, The Queen of Effortless Chic
Today continues my week-long peek inside my new shopping guide, Never Pay Retail Again: Shop Smart Spend Less Look Your Best Ever. Nothing feels better than the feeling of conquering a fabulous designer dress or gorgeous high end pair of shoes at a discounted price. My book gives you detailed locations that you can go to score big on value and style. Two wonderful sources are available online for everyone: designer outlets and sample sale sites. Here are a few tips to understanding how to actually master shopping the outlets and sales, and a few of my all time favorite sites.
Online Designer Outlets
* Hello Lover - Don't purchase an item just because it is on sale. Use your pausing power and take a few seconds to figure out if you love it because of the price or because it works for your body type, taste and lifestyle. Only buy things that you love.
* Take Note - Make note of the current discounted price and the original price. Bluefly.com lists in bold how much discount you receive on every item. This can be an important factor if you are torn over whether to buy a piece or not.
* Discount Drill - I have a discount rule: if it's less than 30% off, I pass on it. When you factor in about 10% for tax and 10% for shipping, you only end up getting a 10% discount.
* Added Savings - Shop the sale section for even more discounts on top of the original discount. Multiple markdowns make me smile.
Online Sample Sales
* Arrive Early - If the sale is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m., make sure you are ready to go at your computer or iPhone with credit card in hand five to ten minutes early.
* Time Check - You may have to sacrafice a little sleep if you're in LA and the sale starts in NYC at 9 a.m. EST. Make sure to confirm whether the start time is listed as PST or EST, and plan accordingly.
* No Browsing Zone - Sample sales, both online and in person, are not made for leisurely browsing or window shopping. Unlike fully stocked stores, items are limited and snagged extremely fast by other eager shoppers. As you shop, add items to your cart immediately if you have an interest. This is the way to put your items on hold for a short time, allowing it to, in a sense, be removed from the selling floor and in your control to purchase.
For more on shopping the best brands, stores for your body type and shopping events in your town, check out Daisy's new book: Never Pay Retail Again: Shop Smart Spend Less Look Your Best Ever . Visit DaisyLewellyn.com for more information.
Even better, we're giving away copies of Daisy's book to 2 lucky readers of StyleBakery.com. Just subscribe to our newsletter and you're automatically entered to win!