by Marie Moss and Barri Leiner Grant
Think Jersey Girls are all Snookis and Teresas? Think again! Susan Sarandon, Bobbi Brown, Bebe Neuwirth, Lauryn Hill, Meryl Streep and Judy Blume are just a few of the impressive women hailing from the Garden State. Think you have what it takes to be a Jersey Girl? Here's how to get your Jersey on...
1. It's all about the hair, no? Go all surfer girl on 'em with Surf Spray from Bumble and Bumble. Spritz it on dry or damp hair for a sexy, salty, sunswept style on or off the beach or boardwalk.
2. Nails too! Choose a notice-me color for hip tips and toes like Absolutely Shore, Meet Me at Sunset, or Smooth Sailing from the Braziliant collection by our friends at Essie.
3. Give me some skin! Skin stays soft and all sparkly with a moisturizer that packs just a hint of glint and glamour. We heart Skin Tint FX Moisturizing Treatment and Tint SPF 30. Get your sun kissed glow on with pearlized minerals that will keep your skin glowy all summer long from Sephora.
4. Find inspiration in iconic Jersey Girls like Connie Francis, Dionne Warwick and Sandra Dee and walk the (board)walk in bright (and tight!) capris and animal print ANYTHING. These ladies really rocked the Garden State!
5. We "shore" do love Jersey Girl Bobbi Brown and her fabulous collection of makeup and skincare products. Her BEACH line (from body scrub to fragrance) is all inspired by the "Nostalgic Scent of Sand and Sea". A sweet hostess treat that is sure to get you invited back soon!
6. Give your apartment some shore house spirit with vintage seashell souvenirs like trinket boxes and shell-trimmed mirrors, stacks of new colorful beach towels (we like red and turquoise or chocolate and pink stacked in the closet together - so happy!) or go fabulous designer with self-proclaimed Jersey Girl Jonathan Adler's anchor-adorned rugs and pillows.
7. Switch out the flip flops and buckle on a wedge espadrille or sparkly sandal for an instant wardrobe upgrade (so cute with shorts!). Get all fierce and fancy with designer shoes or set out on the hunt for funny deadstock shoes uncovered in small town mom & pop shoe stores.
8. Treat yourself to a new "Pokabook" (or two, or ten). It's a JG's badge of honor.
9. Incognito your way around like Jersey Girl, Deborah Harry, in fabulous shades made to be seen in.
10. And when all is said and done, pour yourself a stylish little cocktail that celebrates the real you -- try Svedka's "Super-Star" or "Celeb-U-Bot" for poolside cool. (And of course, always drink responsibly!)