what to pack for a weekend at the CITY:
For the city, you want sophisticated pieces that can be worn shopping or touring during the day and at night for an evening out. We started with a neutral black and white palette and then added in pops of color like red.
Our foundation piece for the weekend is the smocked-waist knit dress ($68) from Talbots, it packs well and easily transitions from a day of shopping and sightseeing to an evening of dinner and dancing. For day, wear it on its own with comfortable sandals or pair it with cropped leggings and comfortable ballet flats. Wear the same dress to dinner with metallic wedge sandals, great jewelry and a metallic clutch. Add a little jacket for an added bit of style.
Additional items to pack:
- Skirt – wear it during the day with flip flops, at night with a sandal. We chose a white skirt with a pretty embroidered print ($68) from Talbots
- Bermuda shorts ($16.99) from TJ Maxx – one of our favorite pieces this season to wear day or night, to work or on the weekend.
- White pants, Liz Claiborne
- Variety of tees and tanks to wear with the skirt, shorts, pants or to layer under the dress, J Crew
- Little sweatshirt and striped top from Fashion Bug
- Short sleeve belted zip jacket ($20) from Marshalls
- Comfortable shoes to wear for walking, J Jill
- Jewelry (not shown in photo)
- Convertible invisible bra to wear with strapless top, cami, tees, etc. ($29) from Barely There
- And it all fits in a weekend bag (not shown in photo)
1 or 2 pretty day-to-evening tops (can also be worn under the jacket or sweatshirt), both from Anthropologie